Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Book Review: Take Me On

Title: Take Me On
Author: Katy McGarry
Genre: YA Contemporary
Pages: 544
Format: Hardcover
Received: My local library
Published: May 27, 2014
Stars: 5/5

Book Description:
Acclaimed author Katie McGarry returns with the knockout new story of two high school seniors who are about to learn what winning really means.

Champion kickboxer Haley swore she'd never set foot in the ring again after one tragic night. But then the guy she can't stop thinking about accepts a mixed martial arts fight in her honor. Suddenly, Haley has to train West Young. All attitude, West is everything Haley promised herself she'd stay away from. Yet he won't last five seconds in the ring without her help.

West is keeping a big secret from Haley. About who he really is. But helping her-fighting for her-is a shot at redemption. Especially since it's his fault his family is falling apart. He can't change the past, but maybe he can change Haley's future.

Hayley and West have agreed to keep their relationship strictly in the ring. But as an unexpected bond forms between them and attraction mocks their best intentions, they'll face their darkest fears and discover love is worth fighting for.

Review:
When a book makes me speechless, you better believe that it was wonderful because I am never speechless.
This book pulled at my heart strings. One second I was laughing at the innuendos being slung back and forth, then next second I was crying because um...well, the characters have darkness evading their lives. Let me say that I hate books that deal with drugs, alcohol, fighting, and all that kind of stuff, but this book was much more than that. Ms. McGarry is a beautiful writer. She dug at some pretty deep issues and still made the main characters sympathetic. Of course since this is a contemporary book, it had a HEA. Thank the Lord!
West: oh West is a cocky butt face. I loved him. I have a weakness for bad boys who are genuine. At first, West is a slap worthy character, but once you get to know him, you will fall in love with him. Seriously, the boy was charming for being so arrogant. I loved the fact that he had feelings. He didn't hold back and he fought for Haley. His passion and care for her was so clear that it made me smile so hard. Honestly, where can I find one of him? He did have some daddy issues though. Still, he was able to overcome those challenges that faced him in the beginning. West grew as a character. He made a man out of himself with the help of his girlfriend.
Haley: Can you say girl power? Dang, this girl was a fighter even though she hated to admit it for the longest time. She is broken, fragile but she was also so tough. The way she stood up for her family was admirable. She was vulnerable with West for the longest time. When they first kissed, I was squealing with delight. She cared for West and I that is why she was pushing him away. She was always looking out for everyone besides herself. In the beginning of the novel, she was close minded. Her secrets were eating her alive until she finally confided in West. Overall, she grew tremendously throughout the novel. Her secrets were no longer trapped inside of her and she returned to fighting.
Thank goodness there was an HEA because I would not have been able to live with that if there was not. So, this book was utterly amazing. This is the first book I have read by Ms. McGarry but it will not be last. She is a brilliant writer. Like I said, I do not usually read dramatic contemporary, but this was so good! Definitely a reread at some point.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...